BOOK BLOKE (@bloke_book) started this ‘Reader Confessions’ and I was tagged by Andy Martin:
1. Have you ever damaged a book?
Never on purpose. Some people consider this a crime, but I enjoy breaking the spines of books; I believe it’s the only way to make them feel read. I am highly suspicious of people who don’t.
2. Have you ever damaged a borrowed book?
Not that I recall. And I never break the spines of other people’s books, even if I suffer while reading them gently without ever properly opening and consuming them as they should be. God, I sound awful, don’t I?
3. How long does it take you to read a book?
Depends on the book. I have been taking my time with Don Quixote for about two years now. I do not want it to end, so it is a few pages at a time every few days or even weeks. I have been savouring Dracula for a few weeks now. Brilliant. I also took my time with Virginia Woolf’s diaries. A Jack Reacher doesn’t last long despite its lengths. Most other books two to four days.
4. Books you haven’t finished?
Recipes for Love and Murder. No comment. (I might lose a Twitter follower, or two, with this answer.)
5. Hyped/Popular books you didn’t like?
I usually stay away from them, and if I do pick one up, it has to come highly recommended by someone I trust as a reader.
6. Is there a book you wouldn’t tell anyone you were reading?
No. I am never ashamed of reading books.
7. How many books do you own?
Close to 20 000, still counting. I am the custodian of André’s magnificent collection.
8. Are you a fast/slow reader?
Fast, unless slow is required.
9. Do you like to buddy read?
I am not sure I want to know what this means…
10. Do you read better in your head/out loud?
Only in my head. I love being read to, something I miss terribly from the time I had with André.
11. If you were only allowed to own one book, what would it be and why?
An Instant in the Wind by my late husband, André Brink. I have re-read it several times and every time it only gets better. It would always remind me of the love of my life.
Well, that’s it and now I have to tag some people so here goes.
I tag: Sally Partridge, Melissa Volker, Pamela Power.
Pingback: Reader confessions